Do you want to buy a house in Metro Detroit? Before you start looking at houses, you should put together a checklist to ensure you have all of your bases covered. In our latest post, we will provide a buyers checklist as well as home purchasing options so you can find the perfect property in Metro Detroit.
Buying a house in Metro Detroit can be a lot of work! There are many things to keep track of and watch out for. You have a few different ways to buy, you can hire an agent, work with a local wholesaler, look for properties on your own or work with a professional seller like We Buy Houses in Detroit. The way you choose to buy will alter what you need to do. Obviously, some ways will require a little more work on your end!
Ways To Buy
Working With An Investor
When you buy directly from an investor like us, you will know exactly what you are getting and will be able to experience a quick and easy process. Without an agent, you can save thousands in commission costs alone. You will be able to choose from a wide array of available properties that are updated on a regular basis. Just like you, investors are looking for great deals By working with an investor that finds them for a living, you will be able to save money without having to do much work.
When you work with an investor, your checklist is pretty simple.
- Set your budget and stick to it.
- Let us know your needs and wants of the property.
- Compare your options.
- Buy the property of your choice.
Hiring An Agent
An agent can help you find a house in the Metro Detroit area. Keep in mind, however, that their commission is based on whether or not you buy. Some will do whatever it takes to sell you on a property, even if it isn’t exactly right for you. They will receive a commission when the home sells, which is split with the seller’s agent. This will increase the overall price you pay for the home. If you choose to use a Metro Detroit agent, make sure they have your best interest at heart. You should:
- Compare agents and ask to speak with past clients
- Set your financial limits and stick to them
- Make a list of your must-haves vs. like-to-haves
- Set up a home inspection for properties you are interested in
- Make sure the property meets lenders appraisal requirements if you are using financing for the purchase
Hire A Wholesaler
This is a great way to find low-cost properties, typically sold as is. You can expect a fast transaction and less-hassle with the overall process.
- Let them know what you are looking for
- You are notified when properties matching your criteria become available
- Ask to have a home inspection so you know what you are getting into
Find Properties On Your Own
Looking for properties on your own can be a lot of work. You will have to find and research everything all on your own. For some people, they love having this much control. Others simply don’t have the time or experience to dedicate to the process. You’ll need to do many things, including:
- Drive neighborhoods you like
- Do your research on the area and make a point to visit the neighborhood at varied times throughout the day
- Network, letting as many people as possible know that you are in the market to buy
- Look online and for yard signs.
- Prepare CMA’s on the property to ensure you aren’t overpaying
- Learn to properly prepare offers
What To Watch Out For
However you choose to buy your Metro Detroit house, make sure you aren’t buying from a place of emotion. Know your limits and what you are looking for in a property. Don’t let yourself become charmed by a feature of a property that you compromise where you shouldn’t.
When you know what you want and what you can afford it can help you avoid seeing too many properties and losing your focus on what you are really after. All of a sudden you “need” a walk-in closet where that wasn’t even a consideration in the past. Knowing what you want and sticking to it will help you immensely along the way.